Pages

December 7, 2011

IPhone's Siri: Psychological Poison?

IPhone's Siri: Psychological Poison? | Fox News:

'via Blog this'

From my perspective as a psychiatrist, Siri, the iPhone’s virtual assistant, could prove more toxic psychologically than violent video games or some street drugs.

For those who haven’t yet heard of Siri, “she” is the virtual assistant programmed by Apple into the new iPhone 4s. She recognizes many words and requests (though often imperfectly) and is, therefore, able to send emails, put reminders into “her” owner’s schedule, and generate GPS directions.

Just tell her, “Siri, I want pizza,” and Siri says, in a female voice, “I’m checking your current location . . . I found 13 pizza restaurants. Eight of them are fairly close to you.” She then lists the restaurants on the iPhone screen so you can choose one. With a polite tone, she will apologize if she doesn’t understand your voice, “Ok, I give up . . . could you try it again?”

No comments:

Post a Comment